• Welcome to Sleuth the Wild, a new space with room to stretch out and explore the nooks and crannies of wilderness mysteries, mishaps, and the missing. Start by hitting that REGISTER button, choose an original (not in use elsewhere) handle, and email Lost Mitten if an issue develops. Bring your friends, sleuths, outdoorsy folks, experts, newbies...Help us develop something special here, find some answers, and learn new skills. You never know, one day you could be the missing or the mystery we solve...
  • Temporary contact for Admin: lostmitten@sleuththewild.com

Deceased CA - Crystal Paula Gonzalez-Landas with fatal slide while hiking Mount Baldy; Jan 2023

Naughty Pine

Hangin' Out
I’m pretty high-alert when conditions are sketchy because I don’t do winter mountaineering trips often. I’ve had to self-arrest for real only one time (almost certainly not deadly, was roped up, not too steep and wouldn’t have gone far), but I fell head down and had to flip and arrest. I think practicing it for years made me just react without thinking. If it was too steep, though, I don’t like my chances.
I can't imagine being able to handle that! You go, Tower!

That ice on Mount Baldy sounds deathly smooth and hard...very hard to get crampons in. And I guess SAR/LE is saying crampons won't work.