• Welcome to Sleuth the Wild, a new space with room to stretch out and explore the nooks and crannies of wilderness mysteries, mishaps, and the missing. Start by hitting that REGISTER button, choose an original (not in use elsewhere) handle, and email Lost Mitten if an issue develops. Bring your friends, sleuths, outdoorsy folks, experts, newbies...Help us develop something special here, find some answers, and learn new skills. You never know, one day you could be the missing or the mystery we solve...
  • Temporary contact for Admin: lostmitten@sleuththewild.com

Found HI - Natasha Sanchez from Utah, last seen on the Kalalau Trail, Kaua'i; Nov 2022

Grok

Hangin' Out
Maps; Kalalau Trail is the famous trail along the cliffs of the Na Pali Coast. It's notoriously risky.

The trail is one of those long ones that make it hard to visualize with clips. This brochure is helpful with risks, layout, etc. It has a map.

Rainforest

Laidback
Although the temperature and conditions seem about right (me being a rainforest ‘n’ all), this trail has never had any appeal for me. I saw it once from a boat. No thank you.

This case suffers from lack of info. LE took 2 weeks to make it public? Say what? Then, no friends, relatives, community chiming in? Something else going on here, known only to LE.

Chill

For Real
Although the temperature and conditions seem about right (me being a rainforest ‘n’ all), this trail has never had any appeal for me. I saw it once from a boat. No thank you.

This case suffers from lack of info. LE took 2 weeks to make it public? Say what? Then, no friends, relatives, community chiming in? Something else going on here, known only to LE.
Give me an Olympics rainforest any day…

Tower

In the Groove
I had thought for sure this was going to have an unhappy ending. Thx.
Isn’t it amazing when it turns out well? I’ve made a note to only get lost in Hawaii because the weather, water supply, etc., seems to allow for better survival. :)

Sorry, don’t mean to make light of it, but so many environments do not allow for the smallest injury or mistake.

I do wonder in this case (and it’s none of my business), if it wasn’t a true outdoors “gone missing” case. Jmo, the length of time to report her missing and some other details. Who knows.

Cliffed Out

Diggin' It
Isn’t it amazing when it turns out well? I’ve made a note to only get lost in Hawaii because the weather, water supply, etc., seems to allow for better survival. :)

Sorry, don’t mean to make light of it, but so many environments do not allow for the smallest injury or mistake.

I do wonder in this case (and it’s none of my business), if it wasn’t a true outdoors “gone missing” case. Jmo, the length of time to report her missing and some other details. Who knows.
I'm quite certain that's an ideal place for Cliffing Out. I'd probably land on a ledge somewhere. But you're right, on that trail there seem to be successful rescues.

I also didn't think NS was your typical hiker: something else going on there.