• Welcome to Sleuth the Wild, a new space with room to stretch out and explore the nooks and crannies of wilderness mysteries, mishaps, and the missing. Start by hitting that REGISTER button, choose an original (not in use elsewhere) handle, and email Lost Mitten if an issue develops. Bring your friends, sleuths, outdoorsy folks, experts, newbies...Help us develop something special here, find some answers, and learn new skills. You never know, one day you could be the missing or the mystery we solve...
  • Coming soon.....The Christmas season can be a lonely and pressured time for many people. And so, Sleuth the Wild will open a chat thread for registered members, invisible to guests, for off-topic cheer, good company, fellow-feeling, wilderness memories...
  • Temporary contact for Admin: lostmitten@sleuththewild.com

Deceased NH - Emily Sotelo, 20, missing at Franconia Notch in the White Mountains; Nov 2022

One Fat Marmot

For Real
There are no aircraft at all over the Whites right now (not even jets), so maybe the weather went bad, a new front came in...

Look what I found. The Franconia ridge in lightish snow. You can see how the trail goes.

Photo by Jack Ingham, Apr 2021

Mount-Lafayette-2.jpg

Trippy

With It
There are no aircraft at all over the Whites right now (not even jets), so maybe the weather went bad, a new front came in...

Look what I found. The Franconia ridge in lightish snow. You can see how the trail goes.

Photo by Jack Ingham, Apr 2021

View attachment 79
It can get like that in the summer, too. There are reports of blizzards every summer.

Cabin Fever

Groovy
Evidently, it’s returning south, but not to Concord. It’s maybe a different helicopter from yesterday. Or maybe it doesn’t have search capabilities, but can only move personnel (e.g. for drop-offs of searchers).
Well, yesterday the fellow speaking for NHF&G said something about the thermo-detection mooted in very cold weather, and since they’ve said they’re in recovery mode, I would guess they didn’t need the super high end search helicopter from the National Guard that they’ve been using.

Today’s helicopter is headed to the coast. Portsmouth? Turning towards Maine. I clearly don’t know much about helicopters…

Cabin Fever

Groovy
Reporting ES has been found deceased on the mountain. She got blown off the mountain? Horrible.

Reporting ES has been found deceased on the mountain. She got blown off the mountain? Horrible.

Ooohhhhhhh…..

They had a good fix on location yesterday, apparently. It sounds like Fish & Game fellas did the recovery. I’m relieved an Explorer Scout team didn’t come upon her.

Interesting that on Day 1, this was where the search was concentrated, judging from helicopter patterns. I guess they know from experience this is where people end up if they run into weather on Lafayette. Awful to have that kind of experiential knowledge.

Naughty Pine

With It
Interesting that they had a clue she was there yesterday, but darkness was coming in, so they had to get off the mountain. Great that they focused above all on SAR safety.

It looks like @One Fat Marmot , @ItalyReader , @Trippy and @Bucket Hat ^^^ who were watching the helicopters were seeing events as they unfolded this morning. Weird, that.
In general, I've really liked how this event was handled by NHF&G. I don't mean on the ground searching—I have no way to evaluate that, except maybe to say it was obvious their experience mattered. They weren't all over the mountain searching: they probably could pretty much guess from weather, fitness, equipment, and lay of the land, where hypothermia would set in.

So, I marvel at that, but don't know enough to pass judgment. However, I thought their SAR guys were EXCELLENT in being plain-spoken. They made clear the casualty had a fantasy plan and was dangerously ill-equipped. They spelled out what they meant by this. They said early on that the odds of survival were minimal. Very soon, they came out and said the operation was in recovery mode.

It was so refreshing to hear SAR "realness" in this case. Sometimes there's not enough plain speaking in these cases, and friends and family want to cast blame on ANYONE but the casualty.

As SAR made clear, this was ALL preventable. It was up to the individuals in this case to avoid it happening. So sad.

Last edited:
I’m reading some strange ideas (I think) elsewhere on the net.

First, is some fancy footwork to explain that likely ES had all the essentials, it’s just that her mother didn’t pack her pack, and because she didn’t pack ES’s pack, she had no way to know what was in it.

o_O I mean…..

This is why SAR has to speak so plainly. People don’t want to believe.

Grok

Far Out
I’m reading some strange ideas (I think) elsewhere on the net.

First, is some fancy footwork to explain that likely ES had all the essentials, it’s just that her mother didn’t pack her pack, and because she didn’t pack ES’s pack, she had no way to know what was in it.

o_O I mean…..

This is why SAR has to speak so plainly. People don’t want to believe.
I’ll bet she wasn’t even carrying a pack. I bet she was wearing a trail running vest.

Grok

Far Out
Here’s a helpful video about today’s tragic turn of event where the lead from NH F&G puts the blame squarely on lack of preparation, especially for the Whites. He highlights the items that it seems were missing in this case. Basically, they are the 10 Essentials, with some extras (e.g. clothing) for weather.

Naughty Pine

With It
While the recovery was finishing up, NH F&G had to go out on another mission. For this one, they were evidently summoned by a PLB. They went OUT OF THEIR WAY to emphasize how prepared these folks were. They seem to have done everything just right.

This actually might explain the odd helicopter movement y'all were noticing ^^^. Champney Falls in near Conway in the eastern part of NH.

Grok

Far Out
While the recovery was finishing up, NH F&G had to go out on another mission. For this one, they were evidently summoned by a PLB. They went OUT OF THEIR WAY to emphasize how prepared these folks were. They seem to have done everything just right.

This actually might explain the odd helicopter movement y'all were noticing ^^^. Champney Falls in near Conway in the eastern part of NH.
Oh, yeah. The heli headed towards Portsmouth and did a sharp angle heading north along the border with Maine.