• Welcome to Sleuth the Wild, a new space with room to stretch out and explore the nooks and crannies of wilderness mysteries, mishaps, and the missing. Start by hitting that REGISTER button, and email Lost Mitten to increase privileges. Bring your friends, sleuths, outdoorsy folks, experts, newbies...Help us develop something special here, find some answers, and learn new skills. You never know, one day you could be the missing or the mystery we solve...
  • Temporary contact for Admin: lostmitten@sleuththewild.com

Uncategorized The role of social media in wilderness accidents

If another prefix won't work for your tools thread, use this one.

Naughty Pine

Laidback
IMO some of the mishaps we're seeing are driven by the need for attention in SM. It's the Instagram effect. The first of this, the most extreme of that, the scariest of those. IMO Monique Richards did a similar thing on Canada's Mount Logan. She had promised from the outset to keep her fans posted on SM. In the event, she had no adequate communication link in case she needed a rescue, which indeed she did: she actually communicated with SAR via her agent. Seriously.

Monique Richard's story is here. To me, the similarities between her and Kate Matrosova are stunning, including their ambition and their complete disregard for the risks to SAR and others in the very likely event they'd need a rescue, and the reality that most of their previous "experience" had been on guided trips where they weren't making the decisions or doing the planning. IMO

Behind the scenes of the rescue of the last solo climber on Mount Logan

Kaboom!

Charter Member
SM gives people a blind spot about risk IMO. That’s why we get “death by selfie”. People have been falling off the rim of the Grand Canyon for some time. But now it seems like we hear about new ones in National Parks every day.

Yet the average time per visitor actually looking at the GC is only 17 minutes. So, yep, it’s about taking photos. The rest of the time spent visiting the GC is about being in the car or facilities.

The typical visitor takes a brief look into the Grand Canyon and departs full of wonder. The typical stay lasts from five to seven hours, according to park surveys, and the average time spent looking at the canyon is 17 minutes.

Cabin Fever

Hangin' Out
There's a name for "death by selfie". Who knew?

SELFICIDE
Seriously. We're over 2 years out from this article, but the pandemic has maybe brought an escalation in these numbers:

I can't even look at photos of selficiders without imagining myself on the cliffs where they're selfie-ing. I feel like I'm falling off vicariously. Terror.
And imagine the poor bystanders.